Monday, April 5, 2010

Bookbags


You ever notice that children in DC, particularly in River East, seldom carry bookbags? I was on my way to work one morning and a young boy nearly mowed me down on the metro platform. I wondered where this kid could possibly be going so early in the morning. It didn't register to me that he'd be going to school because he didn't have a book bag, a notebook, not even a writing utensil!

This is criminal. Homework is essential to education. Homework reinforces the lessons learned in the classroom. I remember I would get a whooping if I forgot to bring home my homework materials. Man, my aunt would make me go outside and get a switch off the ground. We called it the "annointing." And she tore my little behind up.

But nowadays, these kids in River East are too cool for homework. They go to school with their costume jewelry, deep red lipstick, skinny jeans, piercings, and tats on their hands and necks -- but no homework. They have ipods and blackberrys - but no homework. They have boyfriends, girlfriends, and crews, but NO HOMEWORK.

Hmmm... I wonder what excuse we can come up with for this? Who can we blame for our kids not doing homework, failing their classes, and failing at life? Our community always seems to find someone to blame - even for the most basic personal responsibility as completing one's homework.

5 comments:

The Advoc8te said...

I was wondering the same thing! I can't even think of the last time I saw a child in the morning with a bookbag.

張怡伶 said...

I love readding, and thanks for your artical. ........................................

Urban Suburbanite said...

hmmmm... have you stopped them to ask where their books are? Get back to us when you have done some more homework. Sounds like there is more to this story. I'm almost certain you're astute enough to get to the bottom of this.

Urban Suburbanite said...

hmmmm... have you stopped them to ask where their books are? Get back to us when you have done some more homework. Sounds like there is more to this story. I'm almost certain you're astute enough to get to the bottom of this.

Braveheart said...

@Urban Suburbanite - you know what, you're right. I'm usually in a rush in the morning, but I'll try to catch a youngster at my bustop and see why they don't carry bookbags. The young lady I tutor ALWAYS has a bookbag, but maybe that's because charter school kids are more likely to invest in their education; hence their parent's initiative to send them to a specialized school... but at any rate, I will ask and follow up and report back!